1815 Info 7 for Richardson Crompton
Emily Hyde Crompton's life in New Zealand

Close info window

Emily Hyde Crompton was a single woman passenger on the Westland, which departed London on 21 November 1879. On 12 February 1880, after a voyage of 88 days, the Westland arrived at  Christchurch's port of Lyttelton, on South Island,  It was the hottest time of the year. 'White Wing' gives the arrival date of Emily‘s ship as 23 February 1880.

Ship: 1116 tons
Captain: Wood
Surgeon Superintendent: Dr Russell

Sailed London 2lst November 1879
Arrived Lyttelton 21st February 1880

None of the Shaw Savill and Albion Company‘s fleet of sailing vessels has a better record than the Westland, a full-rigged ship of 1116 tons, which for some years attracted world-wide attraction among ship-masters on the Pacific and Atlantic. Built by Duncan, she was one of the last ships ordered for the Shaw Savill Company. Westland made 25 voyages to New Zealand between 1879 and 1900 visiting all the major ports including Bluff. The ship‘s fastest journey was 73 days to Port Chalmers (Dunedin) and longest, again to Port Chalmers 120 days.

Source: Brett Sir Henry, 'White Wings'

    Name             Age  County   Occupation
    Crompton Emily   23   York     General Servant

Emily Crompton is listed as a general servant, aged 23 from York, in the passenger list. She was one of a group of 32 or so young women going to New Zealand to work as servants. The girls, mostly from Ireland, were accompanied by a matron, Martha Cole aged 32. The general idea was to create upper class England, especially around Canterbury. For the upper classes to feel truly at home servants were imported via inexpensive assisted passages for immigrants provided by the New Zealand government under the Vogel Immigration Scheme - Sir Julius Vogel was prime minister from April 1873 to July 1875 and for a brief spell in 1876. The scheme made cheap passages available to all.

Most of the servants took one look at the opportunities, married, scratched together the money for land, and went from strength to strength. I hope Emily did the same!

Source of ship and passenger details: New Zealand emigration passenger list

1815info7, sheet2

Emily‘s wedding certificate records that:

Paul and Emily had three children: William Richardson, James Thomas and Mary Jane.

Paul's tragic death

The Temuka Leader

Saturday December 24 1887

FATAL GUN ACCIDENT - we regret to learn that Mr Paul Glasson met his death on Wednesday night at Hilton by a gun accident. The news to hand is rather meagre, but so far as we can learn he was on that evening out shooting, and was returning home when he met Mr Woodley, and stopped to talk to him. While speaking to Mr Woodley he leant on his gun, the stock of which was resting on the ground, and while in this position one of his children who came up was playing about his legs, with the result that the gun went off. The right side of his face was blown away, and though it was some hours before he died he never moved or spoke afterwards. An inquest was held yesterday, but the result has not reached us. Previous to taking up his residence at Hilton Mr Glasson lived for a long time in Temuka, and was highly respected as a hard-working, industrious man. He was a very active member of the Temuka Fire Brigade. He leaves a wife and three children to mourn his loss.

These details have been kindly supplied by Aaron Clark of North Canterbury, New Zealand. Paul Roach Glasson was his great-great grandfather's brother.

There are still Woodleys in the area. An Alistair Woodley has a large contracting and transport firm in Geraldine.

Thursday December 29 1887

INQUEST. An inquest was held at Hilton on Saturday last, before J.S.Beswick, Esq., coroner, on the body of Paul Roach Glasson, who was shot at Hilton on the 21st inst. The principal evidence taken was that of Mr Woodley, who was with the deceased at the time of the accident. He deposed that he and Glasson were talking together outside. The latter had been shooting, and his gun was in his hand at full cock. He was holding it by the muzzle and two of the deceased's children were playing with it near the breech. The children must have touched the trigger, as the gun suddenly went off, blowing away half the face of the unfortunate man, who died shortly afterwards. The jury returned a verdict of accidental death. The deceased, whose life was insured with the Government for 150 pounds, leaves a wife and three children.

1815info7, sheet3

Hilton is a small settlement in South Canterbury about 9 km Southwest of Geraldine, and about 20km Northwest of Temuka. It is not know whether Hilton has a cemetery. If Paul Glasson is buried in Temuka, he has no headstone, and his plot may never again be known.

It is interesting to note the close proximity of Richardson Crompton's children in New Zealand: Hinton, Geraldine, Orari and Winchester.

Right and below: Maps locating Temuka, Geraldine and Hinton

Map locating Temuka area - 44Kb gif

  Map locating Hinton and Geraldine - 52Kb gif
1815info7, sheet4

Emily in later life

Emily took the children back to England. However a shipping entry for the "Rimutaka", in 1890, shows the mother and children returned to New Zealand. Emily subsequently married a Tom Lewis and possibly lived in Akaroa.

She was a beneficiary in the will of her eldest brother Stephen Clubley Crompton who left "the residue of my estate (approximately UKP 150) to my sister Emily Hyde Leurs of East Eyreton." It is possible that the writer of the will heard the dying man pronounce the name of Emily's second husband, Tom Lewis, as Leurs.

    Ashburton Cemetery, Area 6, Row C, grave 1458
    Stephen Clubley CROMPTON d. at Chch [Christchurch]
    15 July 1924  a.[aged] 77
    Erected by his only sister and brother-in-law
    T. and E. H. LEWIS

Emily died on 12 ocotber 1935 and was buried the same day in Waimairi Cemetery, Graham Road, Christchurch in Plot AN10 (Anglican) #38. She was living in East Eyreton, which is located just outside Clarkville, near Canterbury.

Thomas Lewis continued to live in East Eyrton until his death on 12 December 1942. He was buried in the same plot as Emily.

Emily's children

The Richardson name continues through the William Richardson Glasson and the Glasson line.

William Richardson had six children who are living or lived in or around Ashburton, New Zealand. Although the photograph shows William Richardson in uniform he did not go away to the war, possibly for medical reasons.

He died on 23 July 1938 at the age of 53 and is buried, along with his wife, Emily May in the beautiful and very large cemetery in Ashburton, Canterbury, New Zealand.

William Richardson Glasson   The headstone of Wm Glasson - Kb jpg

1815info7, sheet5

Their son, William thomas, continued the military tradition. His headstone shows that he was a proud member of J Force, part of the 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force, but hides the horrors he must have witnessed.

J Force or 2NZEF (Japan) was formed in Florence, Italy, on 19th November 1945. The force of Army personnel included men from the 13th, 14th and 15th Reinforcements. Officers were drawn from those who had seen service in the Italian Campaign. Several of the Force were volunteers from earlier Reinforcements. Brig KL Stewart was the first commander of J Force.

Occupation duties were conducted largely in the prefecture of Hiroshima. The Force was responsible for the demilitarisation and disposal of Japanese installations and armaments and for keeping order until civilian government could be re-established.

J Force was withdrawn from duty in September 1948.

Above: WT Glasson's headstone in Ashburton Cemetery

The Glassons name is well known in New Zealand, not least because of a chain of dress shops. The obituary of Charles Vingue Glassons, ChCh Press 1953 in the New Zealand Biography file reads:

Mr Charles Vingue Glasson who died at his home Park Terrace on Thursday was well known in the draper business throughout New Zealand. He was born 69(?) years ago. For the last 30 years he had been a director of Glassons Ltd, a Christchurch and Nelson warehouse firm.

Mr Glasson was born in Timaru. He started work with Strange & Co... In the early 1900s he went to London and spent three years working with D & H Evans. After World War 1 he joined his brother Mr J H Glasson in the firm of Glassons Ltd. Survived by his wife, a son Jack Glasson and a daughter Mrs C.E. Taylor of Lower Hutt.

The obituary records more information about his Masonic Lodge connections which were extensive.

The company still has its head office in Christchurch and is headed by Tim Glasson.

Mary Jane's daughter/grand-daughter, Bev McConnell lives in Waikanae, New Zealand.

With thanks to Allen Glasson, whose great grandfather's brother was Paul Roach Glasson, Emily hyde Crompton's husband; to Aaron Clarke, of Rangiora, North Canterbury, whose great-great grandfather's brother was Paul Roach Glasson, and to Judy Bradwell in Wellington for the certificates.

Back to TOP Use portrait to print
This page was created by Richard Crompton
and maintained by Chris Glass
Version C.7
Updated 07 April 2007