Langton by Spilsby
The parish is known as Langton with Sutterby and there are churches in both
church of St John the Baptist in the hamlet of Sutterby is now closed and is
looked after by the Friends
of Friendless Churches. Langton with Sutterby is now a member of the
Partney Group of parishes, which comprises parishes within the Deanery of
Bolingbroke. Partney Choir
sings at Langton Church.
The present church, which replaced a church also dedicated
to St Peter and
head of a small stone cross, which may be of Saxon origin, but which Pevsner
dated as early 13th century, was found by the rector of Langton in a nearby wood
at the end of the 19th century and is now fixed to a wall in the porch.
Following tests on the paintwork in 2005 the church was redecorated in its original Georgian colours during 2006. It is hoped shortly to start work on the time consuming task of renovating the sun bleached oak woodwork of the box pews and the gallery to reveal their original fine colour. At the same time this work should reveal the history of the previous restoration work and the reason for some of the unusual positioning of some doors to the pews.
It appears that there were bells in the church at Langton from at least 1552. North's 'Church Bells of Lincolnshire' (published by Samuel Clarke in 1862) says that an inventory of 1552 states "Item iii bells and one little belle"
Fecit 1825 We were given by John Stephen Langton Esq. Lord of this Free Warren
Fecit 1825 Are you prepared for me to call you here
The third reads
John Stephen Langton died aged only 37 in 1833 and had he lived longer
he would have had a further two bells added to the tower. After his death the
Rector wrote that he had given the church "a ring
of the sweetest bells in
From 1956 till 2008 it was not possible to ring the bells properly because of the condition of the bell frame but the Bailey mechanism was used to chime the bells for services.
The Bailey mechanism
The bells awaiting transport to Whitechapel Bell Foundry
Following a successful appeal for funds a project was launched in December 2007 to re-hang the bells so that they can again ring full circle. The work was completed in May 2008 by Whitechapel Bell Foundry (the successor to Thomas Mears) and a re-dedication service attended by the Bishop of Lincoln took place on Sunday 31 August 2008. Major donors include the Heritage Lottery Fund, Batty Charitable Trust, Lincoln Diocesan Guild of Church Bellringers, Kochan Trust, Allchurches Trust, John Warren Foundation, Idlewild Trust, The Sharpe Trustees and Stanley Darman.
The chamber organ, which has a particularly sweet tone, was built by Henry Bryceson of
A fundraising campaign for the restoration of the organ has been completed successfully. Goetze and Gwynn Ltd of Welbeck, near Worksop will start work on this project in January 2010 and work should be finished by end March 2010. Thereafter it is hoped to start a series of chamber concerts (incorporating the refurbished organ) during the warmer months of the year to take advantage of the excellent acoustics of the building. Further details will be available from the Webmaster or by telephoning 01790 753649.
The church contains memorials to members of the Langton family, including memorial stones dated 1533 (John Langton) and 1625 (Roger Langton) in the floor in the western end of the church. The four hatchments are (clockwise from the door) for Bennet Langton (1737-1801) who married Mary Dowager Countess of Rothes and was Dr Johnson’s friend; Bennet Langton (1696-1769), who married Diana Turnor, daughter of Edmund Turnor of Stoke Rochford in 1736; Robert Uvedale (1642-1722) the horticulturist who married Mary Stephens of Charrington, Gloucestershire, whose grandson (Rev Robert Uvedale) was rector of Langton and married Diana Langton (1742-1809); and John Langton (1908-1989) who married Angela Warren (1912-2004) of Skendleby in 1940. John Langton's hatchment is pictured here. Diana Douglas (John Langton’s eldest daughter) is the present Patron of the Living of Langton.
Other interesting facts
the porch is a bust of
Dr. William Langton (d. 1626) who was president
of Magdalen College, Oxford in the reign of James I, and among the photographs
on view in the porch is one of Ann Fletcher (d. 1909), who traditionally carried
parish babies to the font for baptism, taking her 100th baby to be christened.
Comments on this website are welcome. All enquiries to: Webmaster
Last modified 11/8/09